Allison Wells, the most influential person in my life other than my parents. Allison mentored me for three years. After she mentored me, she went to invest in the lives of Islamic women in Egypt. But while she was with me, she poured her entire self into me. She invested everything she had. Even when I wore her out and she was completely drained, she kept giving of herself.
Many other women came in and out of my life. Most made memories, only some had an impact. Allison Wells was the girl for me. She loved me completely unconditionally. When I think about Allison, I think about the time that some of us girls built a life-size tabernacle in middle school. I think about the letters we wrote to our future husbands. I think about the tree house we built for underprivileged children. I think about the covenants we wrote that promised we would not gossip or “give any type of bad report about another person.” She was real. She was influential. She was Allison Wells.
Lately, I have been wondering if I am an Allison Wells to anyone? Am I pouring my life into girls? Am I loving people unconditionally? Am I spurring people on in the faith? Or am I just pouring into myself?
I have challenged myself recently to be passionate about people. Risk being hurt so that others may be loved. C.S. Lewis was the one who said that the problem with love is the pain that comes with it. What do I need to do to be an Allison Wells to people?

No comments:
Post a Comment